Cornwall Council has said that it is aware of the seven early years, education as well as further education settings in Cornwall that have confirmed coronavirus cases.
The authority has also revealed that 1.2 % of school-going children in Cornwall are currently absent from school due to COVID-19. This brings the total to about 500 children including those who are self-isolating as “part of their bubble” and those who are self-isolating as they wait for the results.
According to the Cabinet member for children and families, Sally Hawken, the authorities are aware of the confirmed cases in schools and they have put in place a public health work with the schools. The councillor went on to say that relevant parents are informed once a positive case has been determined by a lab test.
This information comes after Penair School in Truro announced on Wednesday that it had requested 23 pupils all from Year 10 to self-isolate for 14 days. This is following a confirmed positive case from one of the pupils in the school.
Also, Truro College has confirmed one case from a higher education student. The college has advised students and staff who came into contact with the student to self-isolate for 2 weeks.
Furthermore, Camborne Science and International Academy (CSIA), has this week announced that a pupil from Year 8 tested positive for coronavirus. Following this, the whole year group was advised to isolate at home up until Tuesday, September 29.
Last week, Cornwall College Camborne told sports and military students to remain at home after a fellow student tested positive for COVID-19.
On their Twitter handle, the Cornwall Council advised parents and those picking children from schools to observe social distance and stay 2 meters away from other people who do not reside with them. If that is impossible, the council advised them to wear a face mask.