Historic England says that Dame Barbara Hepworth’s St. Ives studio was granted a Grade II-listed status.
The Palais de Danse in St. Ives, Cornwall, was a cinema and dance hall before it became a studio of the renowned artist, Dame Barbara Hepworth.
Hepworth bought it in 1961, and it was the biggest workspace she used. There, she created the prototypes of her major commissions as well as some famous public commissions such as the Single Form, a 21-feet piece, for the UN Secretariat building in New York.
In the 18th century, the property was built as a stone cottage and later turned into a navigation school. A few years later, it was converted into a cinema in 1910 and became a dance hall in 1925 where they name it Palais de Danse. It was also used as an auction and concert place as well as a ballet school for a short while until Hepworth bought it.
In 1949, Hepworth bought Trewyn studio in St. Ives because of her growing reputation after the war that demanded more of her works. This is where she lived until 1975 where she died due to a fire. She also produced some artworks in Trewyn studio, but because of international demands, she needed more space in town. Due to that, she bought The Palais de Danse. Trewyn studio is now known as the Barbara Hepworth Museum.
The Palais de Danse remained in her family after she died but was later on given to the Tate St. Ives in 2015. They are currently managing the building and contents conservation. They are also in charge of safeguarding the legacy left by Hepworth and its future.
According to Historic England, the two places – The Palais and Trewyn – are all representations of Hepworth’s personal and creative life. It is also an important contribution to the artistic community of St. Ives.
The listing became a tribute to Hepworth’s 45th death anniversary and would help in maintaining the building that provides insights into the creative process of Hepworth.