Arson Attack causes a Café in Torquay to Close Down

Arson Attack causes a Café in Torquay to Close Down
Derek Harper /

The Devon and Cornwall police and firefighters rushed to the Abbey Park at Belgrave Road in the early morning hours of Monday after receiving calls regarding a suspected arson attack.
The calls of a fire starting at the rear side of the building came in around 1:55am of Monday. Using two breathing equipment with a single jet hose reel, the firefighters started putting out the flames.
Around 2:39am , there was reportedly steady progress on extinguishing the fire. The fire department utilized a thermal camera to detect heat within the structure, and by this time had already used up four units of breathing equipment and three of their hose reel water jets.
By 3:39, the exposed roof sustained a severe hundred percent damage and had to be removed by the workers.
The Devon and Cornwall police and investigation officers were requested by the fire department’s incident commander to attend to the situation and assess the source or cause of the fire, to which it was treated as suspicious and will be investigated as an arson case.
As evaluated after two hours and four fire engines, much damage was sustained by the One World Café with the state of their roof considered beyond repair. This has led to the restaurant’s management to close up shop for the time being. The owners decided to personally contact their customers and clients regarding the incident and how this may affect any ongoing reservations.
In spite of the tragedy, the One World Café’s management expresses gratitude for the kindness and understanding given by both their staff and their customers. They continue to request for a continued patience and patronage as they are planning to re-open their doors at the soonest possible time.
Word is put out that whoever has witness information may proceed to the police department and report under the 101 quoting log 61.

No posts to display


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here